1.20.2009

Music of the Inauguration

I woke up late today and almost forgot when the inauguration was going to happen today. I was pleasantly surprised once I became more sentient and I had a little breakfast by the amount of music involved in President Barack Obama's Inauguration ceremony this morning. The expected additions of the Marine Band and the singing of patriotic songs where there but what I was quite impressed with was the addition of an original, commissioned composition by composer John Williams for today's festivities. It was performed by cellist Yo-Yo Ma, violinist Itzhak Perlman, pianist Gabriela Montero and clarinetist Anthony McGill. "Air and Simple Gifts" is a fantastic and moving piece that was crafted perfectly for the occasion. I couldn't have put together a more unique group of musicians for such a special performance. I was impressed by how effortlessly they played together. I know from experience how much coordination really needs to happen to put a group like that together. I can't wait to learn more about these amazing musical talents. I couldn't resist posting a clip. Enjoy!



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/21/2009

    Is sheet music available?

    Please send me a message to bseelbach@gmx.de, if it coms out or gets transcribed ...

    Bjoern (visiting from Germany)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing a little digging as far as sheet music is concerned and have come up empty so far. I read one suggestion that we should wait and see if an inauguration DVD would be released at which time sheet music might also be available. I guess we just have to keep our eyes peeled. Thanks for your comment!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin