8.06.2009

Wedding Vows to Remember


When I was planning my own wedding, I knew that we were not going to have a traditional wedding and we didn't want one. I wanted our vows to be unique for us and the ceremony to reflect the kind of life we were about to build for ourselves. Being United Methodist we used the UM hymnal's service of marriage as a guide and went from there. I don't feel that anything we chose to include or remove with our pastor's guidance made our service any less appropriate for God and for worship. I feel that it only enhanced it.

As I prepare to celebrate my 5th wedding anniversary later this month, I feel it's important for me to be reminded of our commitment to one another and the vows we chose to exchange on that day. I knew the first time I read the wedding ceremony included in the Conversations with God book series that I wanted to create a life with someone based on these words. (The entire ceremony is in Conversations with God: An Uncommon Dialogue, Book 3 by Neale Donald Walsch, pgs. 236 - 241)

I, Emily...ask you, Max...to be my partner, my lover, my friend and my husband... I announce and declare my intention to give you my deepest friendship and love... not only when your moments are high...but when they are low...not only when you remember clearly Who You Are... but when you forget... not only when you are acting with love...but when you are not...I further announce...before God and those here present... that I will seek always to see the Light of Divinity within you...and seek always to share...the Light of Divinity within me...even, and especially... in whatever moments of darkness may come.

It is my intention to be with you forever... in a Holy Partnership of the Soul...That we may do together God's work... sharing all that is good within us... with all those who's lives we touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin