10.14.2010

Did You Know I Sing in a Band?

The view from my music stand on Sunday Morning.
Back in January of this year the music ministries of One Spirit United Methodist Church in Kansas City, MO embarked on a new journey with lots of changes.  We hired a new Director of Music Ministries and our contemporary service got a complete revamp.  We also had the unique opportunity to start an all new volunteer praise band from scratch.  Most of my music training has been on the classical end so I was excited to expand my skills and try out.

One Spirit UMC Praise Band in action.
Nine months later we have two guitarists, one bass player, two people that play keyboards and up to four singers.  Did I mention that we are looking for a skilled drummer?  Just thought I would put that out there.

Each week we prepare 5 - 6 songs for worship and have been working on music from a list of CCLI's top 100 most popular contemporary worship songs.  I have sight read and performed more new pieces in the last few months than I have in years.  It has kept me on my toes and has been great practice.  I usually sing melody vocals but occasionally get to switch things up and sing parts.  I also play some simple percussion as needed.  We practice on Wednesday nights at 6:30 PM right before Chancel Choir rehearsal which works well since most of us are members of the choir.  A few of us even play in the hand bell group.  We wear many musical hats. 

We all admit that we are still a work in progress but I am so proud of what we have accomplished in such a short time.  Each one of us strives to give our best each and every rehearsal and Sunday morning.  I couldn't ask for better people to work with.

One Spirit UMC Praise Band

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin