"Playing for Change is a multimedia movement created to inspire, connect, and bring peace to the world through music. The idea for this project arose from a common belief that music has the power to break down boundaries and overcome distances between people. No matter whether people come from different geographic, political, economic, spiritual or ideological backgrounds, music has the universal power to transcend and unite us as one human race. And with this truth firmly fixed in our minds, we set out to share it with the world."
I wanted to highlight the 16 artists from all over the world that took "Stand by Me" to a whole new level.
- Roger Ridley - Santa Monica, California
- Grandpa Elliott - New Orleans, Lousisiana
- Washboard Chaz - New Orleans, Lousisiana
- Clarence Bekker - Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Twin Eagle Drum Group - Zuni New Mexico
- Francois Viguie - Toulouse, France
- Cesar Pope - Rio de Janero, Brazil
- Dimitri Dolganov - Moscow, Russia
- Roberto Luti - Livorno, Italy
- Geraldo & Dionisio - Caracas, Venezuela
- Junior Kissangwa Mbouta - Congo
- Pokei Klass - Guguleta, South Africa
- Django "Bambolino" Degen - Barcelona, Spain
- Sinamuva - Umlazi, South Africa
- Stefano Tomaselli - Pisa, Italy
- Vusi Mahlasela - Mamlodi, South Africa
In 2007, Playing for Change created the Playing for Change Foundation, a nonprofit corporation whose mission is to create "positive change through music education for all musicians and their communities". In early 2008, they established Timeless Media, a for-profit group that helps to fund the work of Playing for Change. Later that same year, Timeless Media entered into a joint venture with the Concord Music Group through the support of label co-owner and entertainment legend Norman Lear and Concord Music Group executive vice president of A&R John Burk. The ultimate goal for all of these ventures is to bring Playing for Change’s music, videos and message to the largest audience possible.
And now, anyone and everyone can participate in this life changing musical experience by joining the Playing for Change Movement. You can host a screening, spread the message of Playing for Change through media sharing, or hold a benefit concert. You can also purchase "Songs Around the World: Playing for Change" on CD and DVD or the DVD "Playing for Change: Peace Through Music".